Monday, May 18, 2009

Surgery Update

Val Dean was so funny in the pre-op room. They gave him some drugs to calm him before they put him under and it made him so loopy. He was giggling and saying the funniest things. He kept kissing Val and then started licking his face and saying he wanted to taste daddy. Then he wanted Val and I to kiss him all together "a family kiss". His kisses would last about 20 seconds. It was so funny!
This is Val Dean on "drugs"SO SAD!! I just died when I first saw him. It was so hard to see him so helpless.
The doctor said when he started he was a little nervous because his neck instability and abnormalities were much worse then he expected. In the end, after a little over 3 hours surgery the doctor said he was amazed at how well it turned out.
The surgery placed a horseshoe shaped metal plate down the back of the neck. The top part was screwed into the back of the skull and the two side pieces screwed into his c-3. Because his c-1 and c-2 vertebra's were so deformed they had to take two 2 inch pieces from his ribs to build up the vertebrae. So it was like two surgeries in one.

He was in a substantial amount of pain after the surgery. He just seemed like he could not get comfortable. I hope that tomorrow will be a little better. Thank you to all our friends and family for all your prayers and support. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

6 comments:

Cortney said...

Glad to hear everything went okay, hope you guys are doing well. Your kids are adorable.

Megan said...

I'm so glad the surgery went alright. Seeing him out and in that neck brace really choked me up, I don't know how you did it. I hope you are O.K. We'll keep your family in our prayers.

Cori Henderson said...

I'm glad things went so well too! Poor little guy! He seems like such a sweetheart.

Denney's said...

I am so happy that things went well. I was totally teary-eyed while reading this. He is such a sweet little boy. I miss you! We need to get together.

Erin K said...

Oh I love that little boy. Tell him we'll see him soon and that Jaden loves him too!

Jenny said...

Jeff and I are so glad that Val Dean is doing good. We can't get over how cute your two kiddo's are!! Is it bad if I say that I would love to see how Thad would act on drugs - I hope he would kiss me like Val Dean did you.